Sunday, October 21, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Spooky Books - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2


One of my favorite all-time stories is H.G. Well's The War of the Worlds and my favorite comic adaptation of it is found in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2.  It is not faithful to the actual story, but the designs by Kevin O'Neill of the Martians and tripods are absolutely the way I imagined them when I first read the story (before seeing any of the films) and the devastation they cause is accurately written by Alan Moore. There's a lot of other reasons to read LEOG books even without the Martians.

Halloween and The War of the Worlds go together like candy corn and gummy worms. I've read some illustrated versions that are ok, but nothing that really excited me. If anyone knows of a great comic adaptation of the original novel, please let me know.

No comments: