Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Spooky Books - The Crow


The only time that comics were not a major part of my life was while I was in college. I found out this happens to a lot of readers for many reasons, some all too obvious and none important for this blog post. However, I could not have picked a worst time to look the other way. 1986-1990 saw a lot of changes in the industry and introduced a lot of talent that would inspire an entire generation of readers. Three in particular - Eastman & Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and James O'Barr's The Crow. I missed all of them when they were originally released.

Like most folks, I first "discovered" The Crow in the movie theater. It still ranks as one of my all-time fave comic book movies. And as a fan of the film, I say forget all the sequels, forget the tv series. If you enjoyed the movie and still want more, read the original comic. It is less goth and more violent, but there's a brutal honesty about the storytelling that you don't see very often. And for anyone in the Nashville area, you're in for a treat! James O'Barr will be a guest at the Nashville Comic and Horror Festival this weekend! I'll be there too, so after you meet James and have your copy signed, come by the ESO table and say "Howdy!"

No comments: