Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Countdown to Halloween - Cover Rave - Batman #541

I can't imagine a list of creepy comic covers without spotlighting Kelley Jones. In fact, it was difficult for me to decide which cover to choose! I have a ton of Jones' work in my collection, but I have to say that my personal faves are the work he did with writer Doug Moench on The Dark Knight. The Batman/Dracula series was near perfect, the Dark Joker story outstanding (I had both Jones and inker John Beatty sign my hardcover this summer). But the run they did on the monthly Batman title was absolutely groundbreaking. I'm not sure it has been fully appreciated and wonder if it will ever be collected in a oversized hardcover. It is definitely worthy! For my Halloween-themed choice, I present one of the creepiest of the bunch featuring The Spectre. Kids, make sure you check you Halloween candy before you put it in your mouth, you never know if it may be filled with vengeance!

Batman #541
Artist: Kelley Jones & John Beatty

No comments: