Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Indy Books of the Week - Two of the Best

With only a couple of weeks left before Indy Comic Book Week, I thought I'd best not mess around. The following are not only my personal favorite indy comics of the year, but two of the best comics I read this year in general. These are the best of the best folks, so pay attention!

It should come as no surprise that I have an affinity for all things "legend." I'm not sure exactly why, but I've been attracted to the word ever since I can remember. So, when I saw that one of this year's Free Comic Book Day offerings was a preview of The Stuff of Legend, I had to pick it up. As I reported then, the book had "an intriguing premise and fanciful artwork" and I looked forward to seeing the actual issues. The first two have not disappointed in the least. The Hollywood sales pitch is Toy Story meets Vertigo's Fables in the best of both. I eagerly await the third issue scheduled for spring of 2010. As beautiful as the artwork is, I look forward to seeing it collected in a hardcover, but I cannot wait that long to read the next chapter! To find out more about The Stuff of Legend, check out the Th3rd World Studios site, where you can read the FCBD preview for FREE!

It is not an overstatement to say that reading the first two issues of Cursed Pirate Girl is the most unique experience I've had with a comic in a long, long time. The cover of the book is disarming and does not at all prepare you for the lavishly illustrated journey you'll undertake with creator Jeremy Bastian at the helm. Though the artwork, plot, and characters have roots in the familiar, the storytelling style is one of the most original I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Cursed Pirate Girl is (dare I say? yes, I double-dare) a work of genius. You can see some preview art and find out more information about the artist and the series at JeremyBastian.com and OlympianPublishing.com.

No comments: